PSU5-A (PSU3-5 & PSU2-5)

S100User

PSU5-A (PSU3-5 & PSU2-5)

Unread post by S100User »

I work with S-100 type computers and am thinking about gradually converting my primary system to switch mode regulators. This would mean the replacement of 4-5 TO-220 voltage regulators per board (10-13 boards in a System).

Most boards have the TO-220 regulators mounted flat to the board with a heatsink. From what I understand, no heatsink would be necessary with the PSU5-A.

What I want to know is if I can mount the PSU5-A (and other your other models) component side down, instead of component side up?

I can see that I can get the regulators with or without pins. Can I get the regulators with the pins, but not attached to the regulators? Will will need to insert the pins from the component side, and have the pins that go to the circuit board pointing up (so I can mount the regulator component side down).

Thanks
Daniel

Re: PSU5-A (PSU3-5 & PSU2-5)

Unread post by Daniel »

You can mount the regulators in any orientation. The only effect is that they may run hotter by a degree or two, nothing serious. Typically most of the heat is conducted away through the pins and PCB.

When you order, just send me an email asking for the pins to be supplied unsoldered and I will include them. I can also send straight pins instead of the normal 90 degree pins.

Daniel