Smooth scrolling IS possible...

Janke

Smooth scrolling IS possible...

Unread post by Janke »

Thinking a bit "outside the box" I figured out a way of getting really smooth scrolling on up to 8 MAX7219 modules.

The trick is this:

The modules are connected 90° rotated, i.e. with input at bottom, not left, and the modules are NOT connected in series, i.e. DOUT to DIN, instead, all DIN and CLK lines are connected in PARALLEL !

Then, each LOAD line (sometimes labeled CS) is connected to a different pin on the EzSBC1.

This means you can individually access every single column of 8 pixels in the entire display, and don't have to use NOP commands to skip modules.

Thus, you load each column with 16 bits, i.e. column address + data (two SHIFTOUTs), and then toggle the particular module's LOAD line with a quick PULSOUT command. The other modules will ignore the serial data sent simultaneously to all modules with DIN and CLK. Next, you advance one column, send address+data etc. After 8 columns, you toggle the next module's LOAD line, and so on.

IMPORTANT: Delete all unnecessary spaces and linefeeds from the code, and use single-letter variable names for a substantial speed benefit!

An additional benefit is that you can choose to scroll only part of the display, without having to update the rest.

You get a decent speed with 6 modules, 8 modules is a bit slow.

Refreshing 6 modules (8x48 pixels) takes about 50 ms, i.e. almost 20 refreshes/sec. The whole display scrolls right to left in 2.5 seconds.

Using several rows of modules, you need to have separate CLK lines to each row. With 4 or fewer modules, you actually need to insert a WAIT after each refresh!

Here's the core code:

REPEAT
FOR q=1 TO 8
t=o+q*8
p=29-q
FOR n=1 TO 8
SHIFTOUT (29,30,0,n)
SHIFTOUT (29,30,0,b(n+t))
PULSOUT p,1,1
NEXT n
NEXT q
o=o+1
UNTIL o>m

where:
o is the scrolling offset
29,30 are the data and clock pins respectively
p is the load pin for each module (21 to 28)
t is a temporary variable (moving some calculation outside the inner loop)
b(n+t) points to a byte in the pixel data matrix (previously assembled from an input string)
The last line stops the scrolling, m is calculated from the pixel data length.

Important: After outputting a static line, be sure to clock out a NOP command to all the line's modules, otherwise the last column of each module will change when other modules are accessed!
Last edited by Janke on Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janke

Re: Smooth scrolling IS possible...

Unread post by Janke »

The above info has been updated, and the link to the rather poor video removed.