Newby having connection problems

Schematics, Example Code and Q&A
spannertech

Newby having connection problems

Unread post by spannertech »

Got my board last week. I read another post on your forum for someone who'd had connection issues.

I verified the 3.3v rail is indeed at 3.3v. In Device Manager my laptop (Windows 7) shows a USB com port connection to the UART on the board *Silicon Labs CP210x". But trying to send one of the example Arduino files it compiles OK but then times out. I get:

"A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to ESP32: Timed out waiting for packet header"

It feels like I'm missing a simple step somewhere. One LED is flashing blue and the other is rotating through colors. In Arduino info if I do "get board info" I get:

BN: Unknown
VID:10C4
PID: EA60
SN: Upload any sketch to obtain it

I also tried slowing the speed down, but I have a short cable so I don't think that's an issue here

Thx in advance

OP
Paelgin

Re: Newby having connection problems

Unread post by Paelgin »

Did you get connected yet?

In the article from Geoff Bunza (finally got his name correct after misspeaking three times in the forum) in Model Railroad Hobbyist, he builds and describes how to build and program a simplified wifi throttle for controlling trains. https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/35652

To grab some of his article, the following setup in the Arduino IDE is a piece of the puzzle I had to follow when loading onto a laptop:
"Step 6. Load the ESP32 library
Start up the Arduino application you installed. On the top left menu click File -> Preferences.
In the field after “Additional Boards Manager URLs:” paste: https://dl.espressif.com/dl/package_esp32_index.json
And click OK.
Go back to the top menu bar and click: Tools-> Board -> Boards Manager…
Looks towards the bottom in the new Boards Manager list that opens, and find the entry labeled “esp32 by Expessif Systems” and click on that entry. A small label “Install” should appear on the lower right of the entry. Click on “Install.” After it finishes installing, click “Close” in the lower right corner of the window.
Now click on Tools-> Board-> Esp32 Dev Module from the board list (likely near the bottom).
Close the Arduino IDE application."

Then, when I restarted the Arduino app on my PC, it could talk to the board.

Phil in gorgeous Young Harris, Georgia, USA
tbird635

Unread post by tbird635 »

I have this same issue with my shiny new ESP32 Dev Module V1.

I found in another forum that by holding down the left boot button after Arduino IDE showed "Uploading..." and releasing it once it started got it to upload

Once the sketch was uploaded it did reboot ok, but power cycle it if it doesn't reboot.
Daniel

Unread post by Daniel »

I'm surprised by the problems you are having. Every board is tested and programmed before it leaves here. Please contact me directly if you continue to experience problems.

There is one common issue with USB cables. Many cables that are sold are 'charging cables'. They do not have the D+ and D- conductors in the cable :lol: They cause a lot of trouble because they can never be made to work.
tbird635

Unread post by tbird635 »

I think my issue is something to do with the USB port on the pc, or maybe the Arduino IDE is set up incorrectly somewhere.

If I try it on my laptop, it works perfectly without having to do a thing.

(I'm sure my USB cable has the D+ and D- as I use it to transfer pics off my older Nokia cellphone and my Xperia. Plus it does eventually work after pressing and holding the button)